Saturday 29 October 2011

Foxes run to ground: West Ham 3 -2 Leicester; 29 October

First, an apology.  In recent (and, indeed, not so recent) posts, I have appeared to express the opinion that, if Julien Faubert had a very large banjo firmly held in both hands, with a bovine arse tethered straight in front of him, he would be unable to hit it.  I have also expressed the view that, faced with barn door of the dimensions that would enable said barn door to be the opening of a barn within which could comfortably be parked a fleet of Boeing 787 planes, he could contrive to hoof any football over or around said door.  However, I now realise this is an unfair calumny on his goal-scoring prowess following his second ever goal for West Ham today after 23 minutes.  Admittedly, when presented with an equally good opportunity later in the match he reverted to his Wall-Eyed Dick persona, but those prayers before kick-off were today answered (his, not mine.  I don't bother the non-existant deity with supplications way beyond the miraculous.  Faubert not conceding a penalty is hope enough).  Allahu Akbar, as they don't chant on the terraces.

I spent the game honing my commentating skills for Connor, although it's much harder than it appears.  I can do alright until there's the chance of a goal, when I forget to speak through concentrating on the game, until I get prodded by Connor to resume explanations.  Mind you, much of Mr James Linington's decisions as referee were impossible to explain so I just went with the flow and abused him like the rest of the home support.  

.
Still, as you can see above, it didn't detract from our enjoyment, and my son Joel even managed to partake of the entertainment despite a massive hangover.

Let's hope there are no  hangovers on Tuesday night.  The Controller is cautioning against my burgeoning optimism.  Having spent recent years complaining about my bitter negativity, you'd think she'd be happy.  But I guess she can see the bigger the upswing, the further the downswing.

But bugger that, October's over and we're still second, so why not allow a smidgeon of hope?  After all, we not only won today, we actually played some good football, and if we let two goals in, the tension only made the end even more enjoyable.  


It's always like that if you win (as far as I can remember).

No comments:

Post a Comment